Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Fire Salsa

Here is another salsa recipe. "Fire" salsa is not particularly hot, it was based on a recipe called "Fire Roasted Tomato Chipolte Salsa", and the name stuck. I heavily modified it to suit our tastes. This is fast becoming one of our favorites, so I thought I would share it, "Pioneer Woman" style with lush oversize pictures. I should have taken way more, I know - first attempt.

First off, slice up a whole onion. Go for thinner slices that will cook faster.

Put "some" oil in a skillet on medium heat; the oil will go into the salsa so don't use too much. I put enough to cover the bottom of the skillet. Add the onion:


Mouth-watering.  OK, while that is going get the other ingredients into the blender: diced tomatoes, cilantro, garlic, red wine vinegar, salt. I should add that if you have fresh cloves of garlic, they should go into the skillet with the onion. Otherwise, USE LESS in the blender - raw garlic packs a punch.

[no picture of the blender, sorry....]

Also add 4 chipoltes in adobo sauce. I got this authentic looking specimen from a Mexican grocery for $2.50:


Then I saw them at the Wal-Mart for $1.79......maybe not so authentic. Oh well, they taste good.

Add the chiles, some of the sauce, and put the leftovers into a jar in the fridge. Then clean out the can:


You can see I am using the onions cooking in the skillet. This gives the onions and the oil a good flavor. Be careful, the onions are hot. That little can heats up fast.

Once the onions are starting to look clear, they are done. Don't overcook them, it takes the bite out of the salsa. Add them to the blender, oil and all:


Now blend until smooth. Looks yummy to me:


Oh, you wanted it in a bowl? Try this:



Here's the whole recipe:


Fire salsa

1 onion, sliced
olive oil
32oz diced tomatoes
4 cloves roasted garlic (much less if raw)
½ cup cilantro
4 chipoltes in adobo
¼ cup red wine vinegar
1 TBL salt

Saute onion in skillet until tender. Add ingredients to blender, puree. Makes about 1 qt.

2 comments:

  1. Yum, yum! That looks really good!

    Maggie S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting. Even if you are anonymous...

    ReplyDelete