Sunday, July 11, 2010

Cyclone Engines

One of my many interests has always been steam power. When I was little, I loved to see old steam locomotives operate, and more recently I have read a lot about the use of steam engines in cars. In fact, there is currently an automotive steam engine ready for market, from the Cyclone Power company.

A bit of history.....In 1900, there was equal competition between steam cars, gasoline and electric cars. There were a lot of technical advances made, and the most advanced car (the Doble Model E) could start from cold in 30 seconds, had a top speed of 90mph, and at 70mph there was no vibration, since the engine turned at 900rpm. That was accomplished in 1924.

There are still a lot of people who would like to see the steam car back on the road (myself included). Cars physically have not changed much, retrofitting a steam engine in an existing car is a very attractive option. Fitting it all in a small light package is the issue.

Enter the Cyclone Power company. They claim to have created a self contained steam engine and boiler packaged in roughly the same space as a standard trans-axle ICE. They are mainly going to launch a 100HP automotive engine, aimed at the performance market, the Mark V.

I am more interested in the smaller, 20HP model, the Mark II. This one is targeted at generators/steady speed operation. But if it could be made to fit a small car, the benefits would be numerous:

simpler than ICE (no transmission, clutch, radiator, alternator, etc)
lower horsepower = better MPG
better low end torque
runs on any liquid fuel
extremely low emissions

I will be emailing the company and try to get their take on this idea.

2 comments:

  1. Why don't you check out the Steam Automobile Club of America. The Cyclone guys are at the meeting every year. They even brought their land speed record car this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there,

    I am familiar with SACA, I am on the steam forums as KY Metro, and I have exchanged emails with Harry and crew multiple times. I can't wait to see their engines come to market. The Mark II I mentioned in this post has been postponed for now, but the Mark V is supposed to be released in 2013. Hopefully they get things going with the LSR, I want to see them nail that record next year.

    ReplyDelete