Friday, March 19, 2010

Ok, as you may have seen elsewhere, I got the fender straightened out. I also fixed the radiator core support, see this thread.

I am now in the process of rebuilding the head, as per Johnny Mullet's guide. It has been straightforward thus far.
.......Until I got to the exhaust manifold. :die

The bolts are seemingly fused to the head, and so rusted away that the slightest torque, er, um, snaps them off. :smackface :banghead
I have been fighting rusty screws all the way, but never so weak as these.

YES I used penetrating oil (WD-40). I should have used PB blaster, but I don't have any, and I got a little impatient, I guess.

NO I don't have access to "heat", i.e. oxy-acetylene as JM suggests. My little propane blowtorch just doesn't put out the BTU's. The engine doesn't run well enough to warm itself up, either.


So.......now that 2 of the bolts are broke off - how do I get the manifold off? what is the best procedure here?

No comments:

Post a Comment