Sunday, April 15, 2012

Trip Report

Well, I am happy to say... we finished the truck. It runs on wood now!!! Not only that but I was able to drive it all the way home on wood power!

I spent two long weeks in Alabama with my woodgas mentor and business partner Wayne Keith, who agreed to help me finish my truck - a rare and precious opportunity for me. I can't thank him enough, and so I encourage everyone to just go preorder the book - it's worth the $50, actually worth far more than that. Check out driveonwood.com for more info on the trip. OK, enough shameless plugs.

Here's some photos of the last two weeks.

Headed down early Monday morning. Burned a whole $100 in gas to get there.


Wayne welds much better than I do. I will keep practicing...


Working in the master's shop.


Tally Keith shows off his muscles.


Here's how we did the plumbing under the hood. Two throttles on two pedals. Gasoline carburetor is always there if you need it, full and waiting. But like the Maytag man, the call never comes...


Gasifier  is nearly done, ready for paint.




Ready for the road.


300 miles home on woodgas. Burned 400 lbs of wood.



 Stopped on the Wolf Creek Dam.



 Video of the ride home:


Video of a hill climb outside Dunlap TN:


4 comments:

  1. I'm really glad to see that the truck is finished and working great! I have been reading your blog of and on for a while and enjoying it. You have me inspired to make a woodgas truck for myself sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nick,

    If I can do it anyone can. There's more out there to help you than there was when I started.

    Check out the website where we have tons of information about woodgas, and free plans to get you started. http://driveonwood.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the website - looks like it has a lot of helpful info. BTW, great job designing it! It'll be a while before I could do one, considering I'd have to learn how to weld and buy a truck first, but I'll definitely keep an eye on the site and the forums.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Nick! Site was done in Drupal. That was a lot of fun, and continues to be so.

      Delete